Friday, October 18, 2013

Latina bicyclists answer macho bike culture with their own chain gang



I can't fit my extra tube, tools, patch kit, wallet and kuzi in my new man purse.  Screw it, I think I will stay macho.


Psycho Brigade

 Growing up, Evelyn Martinez's mother didn't want her to ride a bike.
"She thinks it's not safe for women to be riding late at night, and cars are dangerous too," Martinez said.
Moreover, her mother told her: "Bicycles are for men."
But after a chance meeting last year, Martinez joined an all-female, predominantly Latino cycling group that is both an answer and a challenge to the aggressive male biking culture. Like men's bike crews, it defies L.A.'s monolithic car culture with an in-your-face ethic, reflected in its name: the Ovarian Psyco Cycles Brigade.


Latina bicyclists answer macho bike culture with their own chain gang - Los Angeles Times

No comments:

Post a Comment