Friday, June 29, 2012

Surly Karate Monkey


I just got a new used Karate Monkey!  I traded an American Deluxe Fender Telecaster.  I think the other guy got a little better deal but I am completely happy!  The bike is fast and nimble.  I highly recommend the Surly Karate Monkey to any trail rider who doesn't have $3500 to spend on Fred's carbon dual suspension complicated high maintenance overpriced bicycle.










































I saw this review and I wanted to repost it!:

Submitted by Guerdonian a Date Reviewed: June 28, 2012
Strengths: Rock Solid quality frame. The Geometry is perfect. Looks good, rides better, take it anywhere and have a smile on your face.


Weaknesses: A bit heavy, but it is a budget steel frame so not much room to complain about that. Best to convert or purchase a rear wheel with a thru axle that you can crank down if going Single Speed. A regular Skewer does not provide enough compression to prevent the rear wheel from clocking out of line in the horizontal dropouts. Should be given rust protectant on the inside of the frame ASAP, to prevent compromising of the material.


Bottom Line:
I have kicked this bikes ass for 8 years. Now it has been lent to 2 friends who have also kicked its butt. It has been in 24hour races, SS short track races, Several day bike trips, Rain, Mud, Rivers, Sludge, Ice, Snow, Dust, (no fire... yet). I have ridden this bike in California, Utah, Arizona, Oregon, Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico. It has seen well past 6000+ miles and never missed a beat. I have taken newbies out on this bike, and lent it to a Cat 2 road racer, both types of riders had a blast on it. It is composed primarily of unicorn tears, sasquatch hair, chupacabra venom, and pixie dust, it is pure MAGICAL CREATURE!


One word to descibe it: FUN.

So much fun in fact that I tried to match my 8K titanium custom dream bikes geometry after this bikes geometry. You will not regret this purchase. It is the best $$ per smiles ratio of bike out there. Seriosly just buy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment