Monday, December 9, 2013

Social media explosion over Specialized's Roubaix lawsuit

COCHRANE, Alberta (BRAIN) — A Canadian retailer says Specialized Bicycle is suing him over his use of the name Roubaix, which Specialized has trademarked in Canada.
Dan Richter, a veteran of the war in Afghanistan, has operated Cafe Roubaix Bicycle Studio for several years and also sells a Cafe Roubaix wheel and rim. 

"I had assumed I could not register Roubaix as a trade mark as it is a geographical location well known in cycling, not to mention the wide-spread use of the term Roubaix throughout the industry," Richter said in a press release sent out Saturday. "I thought I could freely use Roubaix ... To be informed I cannot use the name is devastating.  I invested my life savings, military severance pay, as well as all my Veteran's Affairs award for my illness into CafĂ© Roubaix."
Richter's situation was covered by the Calgary Herald on Saturday and his story went viral, attracting attention on social media and websites across the industry over the weekend.


Social media explosion over Specialized's Roubaix lawsuit | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

No comments:

Post a Comment