Monday, February 18, 2013

David Ware is awesome! Wellington Businessman's Anti-Cyclist Diatribe 'Ironic

Fred's Hero of the Month!
If you can't take a joke just go ahead and stick it somewhere. People are actually accusing him being a New Zealand First supporter (unbe-fredding-leaveable).  How dare them!  That's like saying you love freedom and liberty in Austin Texas.


A Wellington businessman who declared "open season" on cyclists is on the lookout for a helmet to protect himself from fellow bike riders who he says ''have no sense of humour.'' 
In an in-house article recently written to his clients, TeamTalk managing director of publicity David Ware described cyclists as "sodding road vermin", "roadkill" and "weasels in Lycra". 
"It's time to declare open season," he wrote.
He now wants to become Wellington's most low-key cyclist while the polemics surrounding tongue-in-cheek comments against cyclists rage on.
Mr Ware said as a cyclist himself, most of his clients knew he was ''taking the mickey out of myself.''
David Ware
''It's staggers me that I'm trying to be ironic and take the mickey out of the situation ... but a lot of my fellow cyclists have not be able to see the funny side,'' Mr Ware said. 
He had been astounded at the level of vitriol his comments had evoked in his emails.
''Someone in South Africa wrote saying I was an idiot. One guy emailed me saying he hoped I got run over by a bus. Worst of all, though, someone else called me a New Zealand First supporter. 
''Another guy said tell us what you drive so we can keep an eye out for you. This whole thing has staggered me.
''I'm an overweight middle-aged businessman in my 50s and I find it amazing people take anything I say in my newsletter seriously.
''There are cyclists out there who are taking what I say literally,'' Mr Ware said.

Wellington Businessman's Anti-Cyclist Diatribe 'Ironic'... | Stuff.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment