Friday, February 22, 2013

How cycling can be dangerous to your health

I am not sure what to think about this article.  I believe I am going to forget that I ever found it and I'm just going to move on.

By Marlys Harris 
"Ya know, lady, ya can get knocked down too!"
As a kid, I loved to bike. On my two-wheeler, I could zoom far beyond my neighborhood to deliciously unsavory places where my parents forbade me to go. When as an adult I moved to Manhattan, where driving a private car is problematic, I again took to the bike as a convenient mode of transportation free of subway and bus schedules.
But several incidents over the years got me off the streets. First, there was the taxi driver who swerved in front of me as I toiled up Manhattan's 6th Avenue during my fifth month of pregnancy. "Ya know, lady, ya can get knocked down too!" he bellowed out his window. Then there was the time that another cyclist veered right up to me in Central Park and pinched my bottom, really hard. I gave chase but drove over a pothole, toppled and wound up with a bad case of road rash.
All that made me realize that bikers, especially klutzy ones like myself, are out there, unprotected -- from the elements, from drivers and from other bicyclists who sometimes, in their war against the wind, the snow and the traffic, take on the ethos of a Mad Max.

How cycling can be dangerous to your health | MinnPost

No comments:

Post a Comment