Friday, February 22, 2013

Is it too dangerous to cycle?


ghost bike
A ghost bike, erected where a cyclist has been injured or killed in a road accident. Photograph: Katherine Rose for the Observer

Rob Penn, writer and author of It's All About the Bike: the Pursuit of Happiness on Two Wheels

It depends, of course, on where we're cycling and who's pushing the pedals. Is it dangerous to ride along a disused railway line in the Peak District? No. Is it too dangerous to ride down the Euston Road at rush hour? Not for me, but I've ridden a bike most days of my adult life.
I found the report this week about the rise in "cycle deaths" in 2012 very upsetting. But the news emboldens me to cycle more, and encourage others to do the same, rather than lock my bikes away in the shed and drive a car.
Is it too dangerous to cycle? | Comment is free | The Observer

No comments:

Post a Comment